Imperial Palace East Garden
Park / Green Space
The Imperial Palace East Garden was created on land that had formerly formed part of the Honmaru, Ninomaru and Sannomaru zones of Edo Castle, during the construction of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo; the East Garden is open to the public. A number of historical remains and vestiges of Edo Castle can be seen in the East Garden, including part of the Tenshu-dai (the foundation platform for the castle’s main tower), the Ote-mon Gate, the Hyakunin Bansho guardhouse, etc., and as a result the East Garden attracts large numbers of both overseas and domestic tourists. The East Garden also has a wealth of natural beauty, including the “Prefectural Trees” presented to the Garden by every prefecture in Japan, making it a popular place for a stroll or just to sit and relax.
- Tokyo Chiyoda-ku Chiyoda The Imperial Palace East Gardens Map
[3/1-4/14] 9:00-17:00 (admission until 16:30)
[4/1 May- Aug. end] 9:00-18:00 (admission until 17:30)
[9/Jan.- End of Sep.] 9:00-17:00 (admission until 16:30)
[10/Jan.- Oct. end] 9:00-16:30 (admission until 16:00) )
[11/Jan.- End of Feb.] 9:00-16:00 (Admission until 15:30)
- Monday(The next day for public holidays), Friday(Open for public holidays), Emperor's birthday Sunday, 12/28-1/3
- [Admission fee]Free
- Parking Lot
- Not available
Temporary closure:Currently closed (information as of May 27, 2020)
*Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
Itineraries about this spot
- Enjoyable place to walk
- I enjoyed a walk around the gardens on a sunny Tokyo day. It is a pleasant place to stroll around and it is free to access. A fun walk to do while you are in the city.
- Iconic view
- Lively stroll with a nice view on the Fushimi Yagura watchtower which is almost one of the only remains of the original structures. You can easily access it for a nice view from the East side but you...
- Really Super Imperial Palace East Garden Walking Tour with Yuki (Snow).
- We’ve just completed a really super Imperial Palace East Garden Walking Tour with Yuki (Snow) our local guide. Snow spoke perfect English, the tour was well-paced, informative and very interesting...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.