Shimane Art Museum
An art museum which first opened in 1999. Located in Sodeshi Town, Matsue City, Shimane Prefecture, the Shimane Art Museum is one of the largest in the San’in region. A modern structure standing on the bank of Lake Shinji, the museum’s theme is an “art museum which harmonizes with water.” The museum’s collection consists of outstanding works of art in every genre, including paintings, sculptures, crafts, and photographs; the museum also displays numerous artworks which make use of water. The museum’s entrance lobby has giant windows facing Lake Shinji, and the view of the setting sun from here is spectacular (visitors may enter the entrance lobby free of charge).
- Shimane Pref. Matsueshi Sodeshichou 1-5
- 10:00-18:30 (Mar.--Sep. Hours extended until 30 minutes after Sunset)
- Tuesday, New Year's holiday (changed due to special exhibitions, etc.)
- [Collection Exhibition] 300yen (Special exhibition is not included)
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, Diners Club)
* Museum shop only
- Not available
- * 2021 Late May-20 22 5 Monday Closed due to facility maintenance Scheduled
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
- [Lunch] 1,001-3,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 60-120 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- A very complete and inpressive museum to discover japanese art and the influence of western art from all kinds
- First the architecture of the museum in front of the lac is amazing. Inside permanent exhibition has very important western and japanese master piece as an enormous sculpture Victor Hugo by Rodin...
- A spacious museum with an excellent view of the lake - great for watching the sun set too
- The architecture of the museum is impressive. Just the building itself is a work of art. Theyve created a massive space for admiring art work. Its also an ideal location to view the spectacular...
- Disappointing waste of a building
- With a prime position overlooking the lake this large modern building is itself quite impressive, but the art on display is less than exciting. Perhaps when they have special exhibitions it would be...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.