Castle / Ruins of Castle
A castle called “Otakasayama Castle” was built before the Warring States Period, but Kochi Castle was established by the first Tosa feudal lord, Yamanouchi Kazutoyo at the beginning of the Edo period. It is also known as the only castle where the structures in the inner citadel remain completely intact. 15 of the buildings have been designated as Important Cultural Properties. There are also statues of Taisuke Itagaki, Yamanouchi Kazutoyo and his wife, Chiyo located near Ote-mon gate, and the castle keep’s magical form rises from the surface as it is illuminated at night.
- Kouchi Pref. Kouchishi Marunouchi 1-2-1 Map
- Kochi City Area
- 9:00-17:00(Last entry16:30)
- [Admission fee] [General] 420yen [Under 18] Free (Student ID or other ID required)
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Available (designated smoking area)
Temporary suspension:Closed until May 10, 2020 (Information as of May 8, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Japanese Castles: A Top-Floor View
- Japan | Castles
- 8 Must Eat, See and Go in Kochi Recommended By The Locals
- Kochi | Traveling
- Kochi Castle：Tosa’s Original National Treasure
- Kochi | Castles
- Where to Go in Kochi
- Kochi | Landmarks
- Top 6 of Japan's Most Impressive Original Castles
- Japan | Castles
- Itinerary - Kochi City in a Day
- Kochi | Area Guide
- Kochi Prefecture Overview
- Kochi | Best Views
- One of the Originals, Worth a Visit
- I came to Kochi mainly to see the Kochi Castle as it is one of Japans original castles. There is paid parking at the base of the castle. Once you walk through the gate, the walk to the castle is not...
- An original Castle
- Many of the castles of Japan have actually been rebuilt but Kochi is an original and well worth a visit.The internal stair case is extremely steep and as you arent allowed to wear shoes a decent...
- Authentic old castle with great views
- Climb uneven stone steps to reach the top where the castle is. Prepare to take off your shoes before entry. Plastic bags provided to carry with you. Very steep wooden stairs inside but worth the...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.