Castle / Ruins of Castle
Imabari Castle was built in 1602 by Takatora Todo, a military commander who did well in the famous Battle of Sekigahara and consequently controlled a large territory in the province of Iyo. The castle sitting on the coast is unique in Japan with its seawater moat and entrance for ships. Most of the buildings were destroyed after the Meiji Restoration with only the inner moat and the stone wall of the castle remaining, but the castle tower and the iron gates were reconstructed after 1980 restoring the castle to its former glory. Inside the castle itself visitors will find many important artifacts on display including armor worn by the feudal lords and pictures and writings, etc.
- Ehime Pref. Imabarishi Torichou 3-1-3 Imabari castle management office Map
[Admission fee to view]
[Over 65] 420yen
[College student/Professional student] 260yen
[High School Students or younger or under 18 years old] Free
* Tenshu/Go Friday turret/Yamazato turret/Iron Common ticket for the gate and armor turret
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Not available
- Available (installed on Tenshu 1F and 6F)
Temporary suspension of business:Closed until May 11, 2020 (Information as of May 8, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Estimated stay time
- 60-120 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Not possible (Fukiage Park is possible)
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
- Yes (Pets are not allowed to walk inside the building. Please be quiet inside the building.)
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- The tourism highlight in Imabari
- Superbly restored. Great views from the tower. Alas, very little English. Nice gardens and surrounds
- Beautiful place to spend a couple of hours.
- Beautiful place to spend a couple of hours. Just relax and drink in the atmosphere. Its a sea-level castle, which makes it a bit rare as most Japanese castles are perched on top of a mountain...
- Epic Castle with Moat and Nice Science Museum!
- Really beautiful! Well done maintenance. Overall great experience. Enjoyed every bit of our visit.We were not disappointed with our visit to the Imabari Castle.Of note:in the main castle area...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.