Onjo-ji (Mii-dera) Temple
The Onjo-ji Temple is the head temple of the Tendaijimon Buddhist sect and is located in Otsu City. The temple is also known as one of the “Omi Hakkei” (Best 8 scenic spots in Omi) (Mii-no-Bansho lit. the temple’s evening bell). In the main temple structure which is a National Treasure, the principal image of Miroku Bosatsu (Maitreya Bodhisattva) is said to be enshrined, but since it is unconditionally a Buddhist image withheld from public view, it is not made public. Kannondo and Shakado, the stamp office for temple number 14 of Saigoku Sanjusansho Kannon Pilgrimage stand lined up within the temple, which possesses a great many National Treasures and Important Cultural Properties. It is also a well-known spot for its autumnal leaves.
- Shiga Pref. Otsushi Onjoujichou 246
- Otsu Area
- 8:00-17:00 (Last entry is 16:30)
- open everyday
- [Climbing fee] [Adult] 600yen [Junior and senior high school students] 300yen [Elementary school students] 200yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Not available
- Available(Free Wi-Fi)
- English Menu
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
- [Lunch] 1-1,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Yes (many slopes)
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
- Yes (not inside the hall)
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- #14 Temple of Saigoku 33 Kannon Pilgrimage
- We took off the train at Hama-Otsu Station. Of course, Miidera Station is the nearest station to Mii-dera Temple, but we were going to have Japanese sweets near Hama-Otsu Station.After the sweets...
- 《Omi-Shrine》This shrine is located at Otsu city in Shiga prefecture north side from Kyoto. The main god is Emperor...
- Beautiful and peaceful environment
- We visited this place at the sakura (cherry blossoms) season but it was not crowded with tourists as expected. Actually we could walk quite leisurely around and enjoy the beautiful view. There was a...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.