Niigata City Aquarium Marinepia Nihonkai (Sea of Japan)
An aquarium standing along the coast in Nishifunami Town, Chuo Ward, Niigata City, Niigata Prefecture. The Niigata City Aquarium reopened after major renovations in 2013. The aquarium keeps and displays some 20 thousand sea creatures spanning around 500 species. Some of the aquarium’s many highlights include a giant aquarium exhibit modeled after the natural environment of the Sea of Japan, a “marine tunnel” which will make you feel like you’re walking around on the bottom of the ocean, and exhibits introducing the creatures that live in the Shinano River. The aquarium also has popular exhibits presenting waterfront animals such as beavers, river otters, seals, sea otters, and penguins. Exciting dolphin shows are held daily.
- Nigata Pref. Nigatashi Chuou-ku Nishifunamichou 5932-445
- Niigata / Aga Area
- 9:00-17:00(Last entry16:30)
- New Year's holiday, Mar.'s 1stThursday, Friday
- [Admission fee] [Adults (High school students and above)] 1,500yen[Children (Small/Junior high school students)] 600yen[Toddlers (from 4 years old)] 200yen[Infants (up to 3 years old)]Free
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, DISCOVER, Diners Club, J-Debit)
- Not available
- Available(Niigata city Wi-Fi)
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Yes (Umbrellas are available for rent for outdoor exhibitions)
- Estimated stay time
- 60-120 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
- Available (not allowed inside the facility, can be kept (caged or moored))
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- Fun several-hour visit
- The Niigata City Aquarium was a nice surprise excursion. Very modern and the exhibits were professionally done and educational. Dont expect the caliber of the Monterey Bay Aquarium, San Diegos Sea...
- Probably top attraction in Niigata
- It’s located right on the coast in a wooded area about 20 mins walk from centre. It’s great for children with a short but good dolphin display. Lots of sea life. There is a subsea walkway with fish...
- Definitely a must-visit for fans of marine life
- I spent a good four hours exploring the exhibits all around the aquarium, and was enthralled by the dedication that the team at the aquarium put into designing these. Aquariums are a really good way...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.