Tunnel’s station, Takachiho Tourist Information and Souvenir Hall
This is an undiluted sake storehouse for the Kagura Shuzo brewery, famous for products such as the mugi (barley) shochu Kurouma and soba (buckwheat) shochu Tensho. Originally a tunnel for the Trans-Kyushu railroad, construction was stopped due to flooding but gained new life as a barrel storage facility for shochu due to its unchanging temperature and humidity. Around 1,300 barrels are stored in the 1,115-meter-long tunnel, through which the rich aroma of vapor shochu drifts. At the facility’s tourism center, one can try the stored distilled spirit for free.
- Miyazaki Pref. Nishiusukiguntakachihochou Shimono 2221-2
- Takachiho Area
- 1stWednesday (2ndWednesday for public holidays)
- Parking Lot
※Bus 7spaces, Car 60spaces
- Credit Card
- Available(VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, DISCOVER, Diners Club)
- Not available
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
- [Lunch] 1,001-3,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Yes (no wheelchair rental)
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
- Impossible (except assistance dogs)
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- A cool winery with free tasting
- A cool winery, using an old train tunnel to store barrels. Different kinds of wine are available for free tasting. Worth to stop by after visiting the gorge. You may also shop for local omiyage at...
- Many 焼酎 for you to try
- If you love焼酎, you must go there. They have over 20 bottle of焼酎for you to try and you are no pressure to buy it unless you love it. I don’t like焼酎, so I just visited the shops and the tunnel. If you...
- Nice sake
- The tunnel wine cellar is not a big one. It gives you a glimpse of how wine is stored in barrels one on top of the other all the way down a tunnel. However, the tunnel is only partially openned for...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.