Special Historic Site Former Shizutani School
Former Shizutani School is a Historic Structure designated as a Special Historic Site. It was built in 1670 by the local feudal lord, Ikeda Mitsumasa, and it is the oldest remaining public school building in the world. In addition to the lecture hall, which has been designated a National Treasure, and in 2015, Japan Heritage designed it as No. 1 in the category Group of Remnants of Early Modern Japan’s Educational Heritage.
- Okayama Bizen Shizutani 784
- [Adult] 400yen [65 and over] 200yen [Small, Junior high school students] 100yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- English Menu
Temporary suspension of business:Closed until May 31, 2020 (Information as of May 26, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
- [Lunch] 1-1,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 60-120 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
- No (guide dogs can enter)
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- It was a much more impressive ninety minutes’ visit than we had expected.
- The school is located in Bizen City which is in the eastern part of Okayama Prefecture. During the Edo era the Ikeda Family was the feudal lord of Bizen. Shizutani Gakkou was established in 1670 in...
- Stunning architecture in serenity
- After the April crowds in Kyoto, it was a breath of fresh air to visit beautifully maintained Shizutani school with few other visitors. The gate keeper was friendly and provided an English pamphlet...
- Well worth a stop
- On our way from Hattoji international villa to Okayama, we stopped here. Very interesting and quiet spot - would be lovely to take a picnic and on a sunny day.
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.
Other areas of Okayama
- Okayama City / Around Korakuen
- Okayama Korakuen
- Okayama Castle, Castle Tower
- Kibitsu-jinja Shrine
- Around Bizen and Ushimado
- Okonomi Teppanyaki Tama-chan
- Gomi no Ichi
- Osafune Service Area
- Takahashi / Fukiya
- Bitchu Matsuyama Castle
- Maki-do Cave
- Fukiya Furusato Village
- Hiruzen Highland / Tsuyama / Mimasaka Three Hot Springs
- Yubara Hot Spring Sunayu
- Hiruzen Kogen Center Joyful Park
- Hiruzen Bear Valley Ski Resort