Ken Domon Museum of Photography
The Ken Domon Museum of Photography is a specialized museum located in Iimoriyama Park along Prefectural Route 355 in the Iimoriyama area of the city of Sakata. Photographer Ken Domon was a native of the area, and the museum contains his entire life's work, about 70,000 photos. The exhibits are changed on a three-month cycle, with each cycle having own theme, so that all the photos are displayed in turn. The museum also contains sculptures and gardens created by artists who were associates of Domon, especially the sculptor Isamu Noguchi.
- Yamagata Pref. Sakatashi Imoriyama 2-13 Inside Iimoriyama Park
- Shonai Area (North)
- 9:00-17:00(Latest entry16:30)
[Apr.--Nov.] Open everyday
[Dec.--Mar.] Monday (The next day for Public holidays), New Year's Holiday
[High school student] 350yen
[Small, Junior High School Students] Free
* Special exhibitions may change on Friday.
- Parking Lot
Available 136 spaces
* Parking lot in the park (Free)
- Credit Card
Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, etc.)
* Available only for museum shop
Temporary suspension:Closed until May 10, 2020 (Information as of May 8, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- A must see
- I discovered Domon Ken photography, in Rome, when just by chance I saw a huge exposition on his life work. So when we went to Japan, we went to Sakata just to see his museum. We spent a whole...
- [Bashos footsteps] Off-beat Sakata
- Sakata is one of my favorite Japanese cities. I like its peaceful atmosphere, its friendly people, its delicious seafood, its cultural heritage... and especially its few number of tourists...
- A hidden gem that inspires
- This is a must-see in Sakata. The landscaping and architecture are exquisitely designed to tell visitors what to expect. No imperial columns or huge facades here:this museum aims to share the...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.