Ohya History Museum
This museum is at the site of a former quarry in Utsunomiya City, Tochigi Prefecture. Apart from introducing guests to the history of Oya stone mining and its techniques, it displays tools used for hand excavation between Japan’s feudal era and the 1950s in its exhibition hall. At a depth of 30 meters, the quarry spans a vast 20 thousand square meters, producing a mysterious world like an underground temple or the inside of a pyramid. It is also used as a location for shooting films and television dramas, as well as a concert venue.
- Tochigi Pref. Utsunomiyashi Oyamachi 909 Map
- Utsunomiya Area
[Apr.- Nov.] 9:00-17:00 (Admission until 16:30)
[Dec.- Mar.] 9:30-16:30 (Admission until 16:00)
[Apr.- Nov.]open everyday
[Dec.- Mar.]Tuesday(The next day for Public holidays), New Year's holiday
※May close outside of stated days
[Child (Elementary/Junior high school students)]400yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Available (Available outdoors)
- Available(FREE Wi-Fi)
- English Menu
Temporary suspension of business:Closed until May 15, 2020 (Information as of May 14, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Yes (advance reservations only)
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
- Yes (outside deck of cafe is OK)
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- If your looking for something different you’ve found it.
- We decided to go here because it was very different from the normal touristy attractions. But let me tell you it didn’t disappoint the way it is set up is amazing. Lights set in such a way to enhance...
- A cool and unique experience!
- About 30 minutes out of town by Bus 45, we stopped at Shiryokan Iriguchi bus stop and took a short walk to this museum.We walked passed the ticketing counter through a doorway and turned left down...
- Must see
- We had no idea how jaw dropping this place was! You are able to talk through a part of a stone mine. It makes you feel you are on another planet or something. Don’t forget to take a sweater or light...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.