Castle / Ruins of Castle
A flatland mountain castle located in Matsue City, Shimane Prefecture which was completed in 1611, the castle tower, a designated National Treasure, is said to be the only orthodox-style original castle tower still standing in Japan. Covered with black-painted siding on most of its walls, the castle is designed as a watchtower and the top floor offers a sweeping view of the city of Matsue. Relatively simple in design, a characteristic of castles built in the early Momoyama period, the castle is also known as “Chidori Castle.” The area surrounding the castle has been turned into the Matsue Jozan Park; a famous cherry blossom-viewing destination, in spring some 200 cherry trees come into bloom on the park’s grounds. The park has even been selected as one of the 100 best places for cherry blossom viewing in Japan.
- Shimane Pref. Matsueshi Tonomachi 1-5
- [Apr.--Sep.] 8:30-18:30 [Oct.--Mar.] 8:30-17:00 * Information desk closed 30 minutes ago
- open everyday
- [Admission fee] [Adult] 680yen [Small/Junior high school students] 290yen * Open 24 hours except Matsue Castle and Honmaru
- Parking Lot
- Available (67spaces) * Municipal Otemae Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Not available
Temporary suspension:Currently closed (information as of May 8, 2020)
*Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Epic Castle and one of my favorites!
- I am on a journey to visit all of the original castles of Japan and can tell that Matsue Castle will be up there as one of my favorites. I love the color and layout of this castle, it is stunning...
- A lovely national treasure castle
- Proclaimed one of 5 national treasure castles in 2015, this castle tower with a wooden interior escaped destruction at the beginning of the Meiji era being initially preserved due to the efforts of...
- Very nice original wooden castle
- This is a really nice Castle to check out. And the city too.Being one of the only original wooden castles left in Japan, it is definitely something to see.The stairs are really steep, so be...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.