Castle / Ruins of Castle
Shiroishi Castle is a flatland-style Japanese castle in the city of Shiroishi, just a 10-minute walk from Shiroishi Station. The castle was used by the Date clan of the Sendai Domain but then the Katakura clan were hereditary retainers of the castle for 260 years from after the battle of Sekigahara until the Meiji period. At the start of the Meiji period the castle was demolished by Ordinance for the Disposal of Castles but in remembrance of the achievements of Date Masamune’s senior retainer Katakura Kagetsuna, the three-story keep and two gates were faithfully restored in 1995. Shiroishi Castle has around 400 cherry trees (in Masuoka Park). It is a famous cherry blossom spot that attracts a lot of tourists around mid-April.
- Miyagi Pref. Shiroishishi Masuokachou 1-16
- Zao / Shiroishi Area
[Apr.- Oct.]9:00-17:00(Last entry16:30)
[Nov.- Mar.]9:00-16:00(Last entry15:30)
- [Shiroishi Castle Admission Ticket] Adults 400yen, Children (Small, Medium, High school students) 200yen
- Parking Lot
- Not available * Shiroishi City Hall north side, castle open space parking lot Free
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Available(SHIROIS FREE Wi-Fi)
Temporary suspension:Currently closed (information as of April 24, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- Awesome Samurai Festival!
- We went there to see the festival which is held every first Saturday of October. There were many different acts playing, singing or showing skills with samurai swords. When we arrived we had the...
- Worth a visit from Sendai
- I loved my visit to Shiroishi castle. The castle is an easy 15 minute walk from Shiroishi train station (about an hour on the train from Sendai).The grounds are lovely and the castle is impressive...
- This was an unexpected find as we had come here for something else.
- We hired a car from Yamagata. This was an experience in itself as we werent familiar with the tollway system but worked it out easily.
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.