The Castle Tower of Wakamatsu Castle(Tsurugajo Castle)
Castle / Ruins of Castle
This is a Japanese castle in Otemachi, Aizuwakamatsu City. Locally it is called Tsurugajo Castle. The castle was the seat of famous feudal warlords but was damaged in the Boshin Civil War at the end of the Edo period and demolished in 1874. It was rebuilt in 1965, and in 2011 the roof tiles were reverted to the original red resembling the time of the end of Tokugawa Shogunate. It is the only castle in Japan where visitors can see the elegant red tiled keep. In addition, the castle tower also acts as a museum focusing on the Boshin War, exhibiting helmets, weapons, materials, etc. of successive castle owners. Around the castle tower is also a cherry blossom viewing area and many visitors come to visit in the spring.
- Fukushima Pref. Aiduwakamatsushi Outemachi 1-1 In Tsurugajo Park Map
- Aizuwakamatsu Area
- 8:30-17:00 (Last Deadline 16:30)
- open everyday
[Adults (High school students and above)] 520yen (Tea room common ticket)
[Children (Small/Junior high school students)] 150yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, DISCOVER, Diners Club)
- Not available (Smoking Available No place setting Available)
- Available (Aizu Free-Wifi *but it's old so it's slow)
Temporary suspension:Currently closed (information as of May 8, 2020)
*Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Average budget
- [Lunch] 1-1,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
Itineraries about this spot
- Not for history buffs
- No English explanation. Dont bother going if you are into history. Castle grounds are well cared for. View from top is nice
- Underrated Castle With Fascinating History
- Gorgeous, quite large and picturesque castle with unique red-colored roof tiles and walls of pristine white surrounded by vast grounds full of nature, like cherry blossoms and more. Every corner is...
- Decent castle
- This castle is one of the plain looking ones that I’ve been to but it does look elegant. You won’t need to spend too much time here, maybe just an hour. There is a gift shop at the castle where you...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.