This massive limestone cave is one of Japan’s three largest, and is designated a National Natural Monument. The cave is over 5,000 meters long overall, and hosts eight underground lakes that are among the clearest in the world. The color of the water, called Dragon Blue, is astonishing and the mystical sight is worth visiting. A 700 meter walking route in the cave and three of the eight lakes are open to the public. One section of the trail is barrier-free, with full wheelchair access. The limestone filtered water has been named one of Japan’s top 100 waters, and is available to drink at the cave entrance.
- Iwate Pref. Shimoheiguniwaizumichou Iwaizumi Kannari 1-1
- Sanriku Coast Area
- open everyday
[Adults (High School Students and above)] 1,100yen
[Small/Junior High School Students] 550yen (common with Ryusen Shindo Science Museum)
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, UnionPay)
- Others (Smoking area Available in the park)
Temporary suspension of business:Closed until May 31, 2020 (Information as of May 29, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Average budget
- [Lunch] 1,001-3,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Only part of the sightseeing is possible, not during one-way routes
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Water world
- This spot is far from any station, so you need a car or bus to reach it.The entrance fee costs 1000 yen per person. Business hours are from 8:30 to 17:00, and open everyday.It is one of the three...
- Ryusendo Limestone Caves
- It was really an amazing sight. Deep in the cave the depth of the cave goes as deep as 95 over meters. The limestones has all kinds of structures. Also the cave is long and deep yet the bats can...
- Fascinating to visit
- Ryusendo is recognized as one of three great limestone caves in Japan. My wife and I visited one of the other two, Akiyoshido in Yamaguchi Prefecture about six years ago. They offer very different...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.