Niigata City History Museum (Minatopia)
Museum / Science Museum
At this history museum in Chuo Ward, Niigata City, Niigata Prefecture, you’ll find materials illuminating the history and folk culture of Niigata, which developed along with the sea. The main building adopts a modern Western design used by the second-generation Niigata city hall. Inside, you’ll find a permanent exhibit with the theme “The local sea and locals’ lives,” along with a theater, planned exhibitions, and more. Onsite, there’s also the Former Niigata Customhouse building in the Meiji period, a National Treasure, and the Former Daishi Bank Sumiyoshi-cho Branch, which was completed in 1927. Visitors are allowed entry.
- Nigata Pref. Nigatashi Chuou-ku Yanagishimachou 2-10
- Niigata / Aga Area
*Ticket sales end 30 minutes before closing
- Monday (The next day if that Sunday is Closed), The next day of public holidays (Tuesday if that Sunday is SaturdaySunday), New Year's holiday (12/28-1/3), fumigation season, etc.
- [Permanent exhibition Admission fee] [General] 300yen [High school students/university students] 200yen [Small/Junior high school students] 100yen * Special exhibitions vary from exhibition to exhibition
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, DISCOVER, Diners Club)
- Not available
- Available(Niigata City Wi-Fi)
Temporary suspension:Closed until May 11, 2020 (Information as of May 11, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- Go for the buildings, but check it out anyway
- The buildings are beautiful! Kind of a colonial European vibe, and (for me) they’re especially pretty in the evening.If I remember rightly, the entry fee was ¥300, which is perfectly reasonable...
- Slightly interesting for a rainy day
- This museum was only was very mildly interesting, with not much translated into English. Id only recommend if you have nothing else to do.
- Fine historical exhibits - but weak on non-Japanese explanation
- If you are staying at the Nikko or have to wait more than an hour for the Sado Kisen ferry, pop over to the History Museum right across the river. You learn Niigata was one of 4-5 targets for the...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.
Other areas of Niigata
- Murakami / Shibata
- Tsukioka Onsen
- Sennenzake Kikkawa
- Shibata Castle