Castle / Ruins of Castle
This famous castle belonged to the Kishu Tokugawa family, one of the “Tokugawa Gosanke” families. It has been beloved by many as a symbol of Wakayama for ages. The Okaguchi Gate, which was made a Nationally Designated Important Cultural Property, as well as the stone wall constructed with Kishu-specialty blue stone (chlorite-schist) in the Nozura-zumi style, still maintain their original structures. From the castle tower constructed by citizens in 1958 after the war, you can see the Kinokawa River, the Wakayama cityscape, and more. Many visitors come during the cherry blossom and fall foliage seasons as well. Inside the castle tower, many items associated with the Tokugawa family are on display.
- Wakayama prefecture Wakayama city 1-3
- 9:00-17:30(Last entry17:00)
- [Tenshukaku Admission fee] [Adult] 410yen [Children (Elementary and junior high school students)] 200yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Not available
- English Menu
Temporary suspension:Currently closed (information as of May 8, 2020)
*Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
- [Lunch] 1-1,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 60-120 minutes
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- The symbol of Wakayama City, you can experience the historical changes and prosperity of the Kishu Clan
- Beautiful castle on a huge sight. Really big park. Will take a long time if you want to see it all.
- Beautiful castle on a huge sight. Really big park. Will take a long time if you want to see it all. Actually, the best spot to take a photo of the castle is from down in the city. While you are in...
- The Castle on the hill surrounded by a park and mini zoo
- The Edo period castle is full of valuable antique items and surrounded by city walls, towers, moats, bridge, gate, garden and city viewpoints. When the leaves change color or cherry blossoms, it is...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.
Other areas of Wakayama
- Wakayama City Suburbs
- Wakayama Marina City
- Wakayama Castle
- Aeon Mall Wakayama
- Mt. Koya / Ryujin Onsen / Kudoyama
- JA Kinosato Farmers Market Mekkemon Square
- Okunoin Temple
- Koyasan Reihokan Museum
- Kainan / Arita / Minabe / Tanabe
- Kumano Hongu Taisha shrine
- Shirasaki Kaiyokoen
- Ryujin Onsen Motoyu
- Kushimoto / Koza / Susami
- Cape Shionomisaki
- Hashikuiiwa Rocks
- Kushimoto Marine Park
- Nachikatsuura / Taiji / Shingu
- Kumano Nachi Taisha Shrine
- Nachi Waterfall (Hiro Jinja Shrine)
- Kumano Hayatama Taisha Shrine