Numazu Deep Sea Aquarium
Located in the Minato 83 Banchi commercial facility in Numazu City, Shizuoka Prefecture, this unusual aquarium focuses on deep sea life. The aquarium’s centerpiece is its coelacanth exhibit, which includes extremely rare displays of both a frozen and a mounted coelacanth, a deep sea fish whose form hasn’t changed in 350 million years. Other popular exhibits include a large aquarium filled with animals from Suruga Bay, a treasure trove of deep sea life; an almost magical tank of luminescent fish; and a tank housing giant isopods, famous for their ability to live for years without eating. Unique deep sea life-themed merchandise is available at the aquarium shop.
- Shizuoka Pref. Numadushi Sembonminatochou 83
- 10:00-18:00 (Last entry 17:30) * Changes may occur depending on Summer, winter, and busy season.
- open everyday * Jan. Is closed due to maintenance.
- [Admission fee] [Adults (High school students and above)] 1,600yen [Children (Elementary and junior high school students)] 800yen [Toddlers (4 years old and above)] 400yen
- Parking Lot
- Not available
Temporary suspension of business:Closed until May 17, 2020 (Information as of May 15, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- An interesting place to visit on a rainy day
- The aquarium is quite small and only took an hour to walk round. The exhibits all focussed on the deep sea and were different and really interesting, especially the massive spider crabs.
- Very cool for a Coelacanth junkie!
- Let me preface this review by saying I am HUGE Coelacanth fan, the story of the coelacanth’s rediscovery in the 50’s and the subsequent body of research on the fish has captivated me since I was a...
- Unique deep sea museum
- Enjoyed and learned something.Especially, Coelacanth.If you understand Japanese, look for the timing of 15 minutes lecture.When I visited here, that was at 13:00.Explanation and visuals are...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.