Gujo Hachiman Castle
Castle / Ruins of Castle
Gujo Hachiman Castle is Japan’s oldest castle reconstructed out of wood. Building of the fort began in 1559 by Endo Morikazu and by 1667 the shogunate government recognized it as a castle. In 1933 the current castle tower was rebuilt with reference to Ogaki Castle at that time. The sight of the castle appearing to float in the morning mist is a spectacle to behold and is why the castle is also known as the castle in the sky. The four layered wooden castle tower with five floors has been designated as an Important Cultural Property of Gujo City.
- Gifu Pref. Gujoushi Hachimanchouyanagimachi One flat 659
- Chuno Area
9:00-17:00 (Last entry 16:45)
[The summer season (June--Aug.)] 8:00-18:00 (Last entry 17:45)
[Winter season (Nov.--Feb.)] 9:00-16:30 (Last entry 16:15)
- 12/20-1/10 (There may be days when the facility is closed.)
[Admission fee for Gunjo Hachiman Castle]
[Adults (High School Students and above)] 320yen
[Children (Elementary and Junior High School Students)] 150yen
[Disability Certificate Presentation Level 3 and above] Free
[Kunigami Hachiman Expo Hall Common ticket with]
[Adults (High School Students and above)] 650yen
[Children (Elementary and Junior High School Students)] 350yen
* Changes due to tax increase
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Not available
- English Menu
- Foreign language pamphlet Available
- * Tel belongs to Gujo Hachiman Industrial Promotion Corporation.
- Estimated stay time
- 0-30 minutes
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
- Outdoors are possible, paid parts (main tower area) are not possible
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Spectacular autumn view!
- Originally built in 1559, this castle was torn down in 1870 during the Meiji Restoration and recostructed back in 1933. Autumn is the best season to visit this castle as the autumn leaves...
- Not just another castle
- Well, you need a car to go there as it is with castles they are always on the top of some mountain or hills and outside of towns. Its good to have one driving up the narrow road to the parking lot...
- Castle review
- Located atop a mountain. Beautiful views from top. Lovely castle.A small car parking is available near the castle which becomes full soon.
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.