Rokuon-ji Temple (Kinkaku-ji Temple)
This temple began when third generation shogun of the Muromachi shogunate Ashikaga Yoshimitsu inherited the Saionji family's mountain villa and called the villa “Kitayamadono.” After his death it was changed into a Zen temple named “Rokuonji.” The reliquary hall is a three-story building shining beautifully in gold and looks pretty reflected in the Kyokoike (mirror pond). This brilliant architecture was a symbol of Kitayama culture but burned down in a 1950 fire, then was rebuilt in 1955. In 1994 it was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Kyoto Kyoutoshi Kita-ku Kinkakujichou 1
- [Opening hours for worship]9:00-17:00
- open everyday
- [Worship fee Friday] [Adults (High school students and above)] 400yen [Small/Junior high school students] 300yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Top 42 Autumn Color Spot in Kyoto
- Kyoto | Spiritual Spots
- Best Autumn spots around Kinkakuji Temple
- Kyoto | Temples
- World Heritage Sites of Japan
- Japan | World Heritages
- Top 5 Temples in Kyoto
- Kyoto | Temples
- In the Red: Collecting Goshuin in Kyoto
- Kyoto | Shrines
- The Best Places to Start Your Day in Kyoto
- Kyoto | Landmarks
- Kyoto Overview
- Japan | Traveling
- Kyoto | Traveling
- Lovely Break
- It was nice to sit quietly and have a bowl of matcha tea and a sweet while finishing our visit at kinkaku-ji. It wasnt busy at all despite the huge crowds at the temple and the tea was lovely.
- Dont miss it!
- It is a tea-house at the exit of the golden temple. The atmosphere there attracted us to enjoy the macha tea being offered though at slightly expensive price. The tea is tasty with a small sweet...
- An escape from the crowds
- Actually it was better than expected. It is a tea-house at the exit of the golden temple. I wasnt too keen on going as I saw it as a tourist rip-off. However, few things in Japan (at least thats my...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.