Fukagawa Seiji (Main Store)
"Arita is the first place in Japan where porcelain was made. From the 17th century onward, Arita ware was an important product of what was once Saga-Nabeshima Domain and was extensively exported abroad, where it is known and loved as ""Imari ware,"" ""Ko-Imari,"" and ""Old Imari."" Fukagawa Seiji, a company which furthered global interest in Arita ware and which converted it into an art form, was founded in 1894 by Chuji Fukagawa, and Fukagawa erected Fukagawa Seiji's flagship store right here in Arita with the intent of welcoming customers from around the world. Even today, the structure retains a strong atmosphere redolent of the bygone Meiji and Taisho periods; the exterior of the building is covered in scratch tile, while the interior is decorated with floor mosaics and stained-glass windows. In the second-floor museum, visitors can view outstanding pieces crafted by Fukagawa Seiji bearing the distinct ""Meiji modern"" design style (advance reservation required). Today, the building and collection of the second-floor museum have received the Heritage of Industrial Modernization designation."
- Saga Pref. Nishimatsuragunaritachou Koubira 1-1-8 Map
- Arita / Imari Area
- New Year's holiday
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, Diners Club)
- Available (Available outside the store)
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Yes (towels available)
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
- Possible (small dogs that can be held, etc.)
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- The ceramics festival starts April 29th. The Fukagawa shops are a 40 minute walk from Arita station. There is only a shuttle bus during the festival. Good thing - you can ask them to call a cab for...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.