Matsuyama Castle Ninomaru Historical Garden
A historic garden which sits at the base of Matsuyama Castle, one of the Japan's Top 100 Castles? in the center of Matsuyama. Built on the site of the residence of Gamo Tadatomo, the second lord of the Iyo-Matsuyama Domain, the omotegoten palace remains are now covered in flowers while the former noble private quarters are covered in ponds and lawn that show the former room layout. Also excavated on the site, whose size is nearly 1.6 hectares, is Japan's largest ancient water well. Recognized in 2013 as a Couple's Holy Land, nearly 500 pre-wedding photo shoots are staged here annually. There are also three pavilions on the grounds, the Katsuyama-tei, Juraku-tei, and Kanko-tei, that are used for cultural events including tea ceremonies and haiku poetry gatherings.
- Ehime Pref. Matsuyamashi Marunouchi 5
- Matsuyama Area
[Dec.- Jan.]9:00-16:30(Last entry16:00)
- [Admission fee] [Adult] 200yen [Child] 100yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, DISCOVER, Diners Club)
- Not available
- Available (Ehime Free, Matsuyama Free)
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Yes (umbrellas can be rented)
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Yes (contact required upon arrival)
- Pet friendly
- Yes (possible if you enter the park or hold it in the cage) * It is not possible to walk in the park
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- Astonishing- a must visit
- To get to the castle you first have a ride in a cable car or chairlift up the mountain. There is still a rather energetic up hill walk required to access the castle itself. Having made it up to the...
- A worthwhile stop on the way to Matsuyama Castle.
- The gardens and history behind the location are worth stopping to investigate and allows for either a rest on the way up or down from the castle. Numerous citrus and flower plantings are established...
- Very pleasant garden
- This garden was not at all what I expected as it is far from traditional, much of it quite stark and modern, built on the floor plan of part of the original castle. It was quiet with only a couple of...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.