A group of stone carvings made into bare rock in the late Heian period (794–1185) which are believed to be the oldest Buddhist imagery in the nation. There are two carvings—an eight meter tall image of Fudo Myoo (Acala, the God of Fire) and a 7.7 meter tall image of Dainichi-nyorai (Vairocana); both are among the largest such Magaibutsu (Buddhist imagery carved into bare stone) in the country and are nationally designated Important Cultural Properties and as well as a Historic Site. In order to view the statues, it is necessary to climb a steep set of stone steps; accordingly, visitors are encouraged to wear comfortable footwear. Walking stick rentals are also available. The figures may be viewed until evening.
- Oita Pref. Bungotakadashi Tashibuhirano
- [Summer] 8:00-17:00 [Winter] 8:00-16:30
- open everyday
- [Admission fee] General/High school students300yen, Elementary and junior high school students150yen
- Parking Lot
- Available (15 spaces above, 20 spaces below) * 2 Available
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Yes (wands and umbrellas are always available, limited number)
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Infant friendly
- Yes (accompanied by parents)
- Pet friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- It certainly is worth the climb to see these statues carved on rocks
- Following Fukiji-oodou we visited Kumano-magaibutsu (stone Buddhist statues carved on rock) not far away. These statues date back to the late Heian period, probably 11th to 12th century, and is the...
- Largest Buddhist relief carvings in Japan
- A steep climb in the forest leads you to interesting carvings. Not recommended for older people, or those with cardiac or ankle issues.
- serious Buddha, funny smiling monk
- There are only two statues, and the venue is not that easy to reach. A small road leads you through nature, one needs a (rental) car or organised bus trip. At the modest temple one buys the...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.