Suizen-ji Joju-en Garden (Suizenji Park)
This strolling garden has been noted as one of Japan's Places of Scenic Beauty as well as a Historic Site. Construction of the garden was started by Lord Hosokawa Tadatoshii, who was the first Hosokawa lord of the Higo province and Kumamoto, and would continue for three generations. The large 10,000 square meter lake in the garden is filled with water from the Aso spring. The park opens at 7:30 AM from March to October and at 8:30 AM from November to February and a morning stroll is highly recommended. Horseback archery events are held in the spring and fall and during the summer Noh theater performances are held by fire light. Entrance to the park is a three-minute walk from the Suizenji Park stop on the Kumamoto streetcar.
- Kumamoto Pref. Kumamotoshichuouku Suizenjikouen 8-1
- Kumamoto City Area
- 8:30-17:00 (until Last entry 16:30)
- open everyday
- [Admission fee] Adults (16 years old and over) 400yen, Children (6-15 years old) 200yen
- Parking Lot
- Not available (Please use the nearby private parking lot)
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Not available (No smoking in the park)
- Available (Kumamoto Free Wi-Fi)
- English Menu
- Available (Pamphlet English in the park, Korea, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, France)
- Pamphlet available (English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, French available)
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
- Yes (possible if you are holding it in the park)
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- This place is nothing short of the best gardens and shrines in Kyoto, but is waaaay less crowded. I had the whole historical building used as a teahouse to myself when I came here on a Tuesday at 13...
- Must visit - Rent a kimono and have tea
- One of the most beautiful sites in Kumamoto. I always return here, and will make sure to take friends to share the beauty of this park/shrine.
- Wonderful garden
- Just loved visiting this garden. Its not large so it doesnt take long to wander around and there are a couple of places where you can eat if needed. Beware the parking! My satnav stopped short of...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.