Shimada Art Museum (島田美術館)
This is a museum which is famous for storing brushwork masterpieces and belongings of the master swordsmen, Miyamoto Musashi. Exhibits are focused on a collection of Matomi Shimada who was also a researcher of Miyamoto Musashi. There is also a portrait of Miyamoto Musashi designated as an Important Cultural Property from the prefecture, which is exhibited every spring and autumn for four months. It is a 14-minute walk from the “Daniyama-machi” tram stop.
Kumamoto Pref. Kumamotoshinishiku Shimasaki 4-5-28 (KumamotoArea)
10:00-17:00 (Admission is until 16:30)
Review of Shimada Museum of ArtsTripAdvisor Traveler Rating
The Musashi section has an amazing range of artifacts, including a couple...
- 10:00-17:00 (Admission is until 16:30)
- Closed on Tuesday (open for Public holidays), New Year's Holiday, exhibition changes, etc.
* Closed on 2nd and 3rd Wednesdays from 2021 Apr.
- [Admission fee] General700yen, High School Students 400yen, Elementary and Junior High School Students200yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- On foot aboutminutes
- about m
- Route from this Station Route from this Bus Stop Route from this IC Route from this Parking
Nearby Tourist Attractions
Kumamoto lies in the center of Kyushu, a calm prefecture perfect for easy strolls around the historic center and lazy evenings in the natural hot springs at Kurokawa Onsen. For a slightly more strenuous activity, head to Mount Aso, whose surrounding hills offer hiking opportunities aplenty with views over the active volcano.