Castle / Ruins of Castle
Shimabara Castle is located at the foot of Mt. Unzen overlooking the Ariake Sea. The castle is comprised of a five-tier tower surrounded by turrets of various sizes and incorporates the castle architectural style of the Azuchi-Momyama period. The castle is distinguished by its tall and strong walls. After it was completed in 1624, the castle served as the seat of 19 generations of feudal lords from four clans over a 250-year history and was the stage for many historical events. The castle was demolished with the Meiji Restoration but the tower was restored in 1964. The interior of the castle is a museum which exhibits materials related to the early Japanese Christians and other local history matters.
- Nagasaki Pref. Shimabarashi Jounai 1-1183-1
- open everyday
- [Admission fee] Adults550yen, elementary, junior high and high school students 280yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Others (No smoking in the building, Smoking area available on site)
- English Menu
Temporary suspension:Closed until May 24, 2020 (Information as of May 5, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
- [Lunch] 1-1,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Yes (stairs in the hall)
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Spot to learn about the history of Christian beliefs and oppression
- Symbol of Shimabara
- Although this castle is a reconstruction of Showa Time, it is still the main tourist attraction and the symbol of Shimabara. Inside is a historical museum, and you can learn the history of Shimabara...
- Great Museum on Hidden Christians, Gruesome History!
- The big deal about this castle is the part it played in the Shimabara Rebellion in the 1600s. The mostly Christian peasants rose up against their cruel master and attacked this (his) castle. They...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.