Karatsu Castle (Maizuru-jo “Dancing Crane Castle”)
Castle / Ruins of Castle
This is a castle which could also be called a symbol of Karatsu, located in the northern part of Karatsu City, Saga Prefecture. Terazawa Hirotaka, a retainer of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, spent seven years to build this castle. The inner citadel sits on Mt. Mitsushima which projects out into Karatsu Bay, while the outer citadel is on the west bank and the third citadel leads to a renkaku style flatland mountain castle. The inner citadel has now been turned into Maizuru Park, and also you can see the superb views of Matsuura Bay from that observation point, the current castle keep which was completed in 1966.
- Saga Pref. Karatsushi Higashijounai 8-1 Map
9:00-17:00 (admission until 16:30)
※depending on the season
[Elementary and junior high school students]250yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
Available (Shop only
VISA, MasterCard, JCB, American Express, Diners, Discover, UnionPay)
- Not available
Temporary suspension:Closed until May 31, 2020 (Information as of May 12, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Estimated stay time
- 0-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Yes (use of stair lift) *Suspended due to new coronavirus infection control
- Infant friendly
- Available (lactation room available)
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- a visit to唐津城
- We planned for a trip to Karatsu since 2019 bit was put on hold due to the pandemic.. Finally all cleared and we find ourself on the way from Meinohamma sta. That’s another 60+ mins ride over 20...
- The best castle to visit
- This was just an hour train ride out of Fukuoka. And a walk through the cute town to get to the castle. Theyve restored the castle to its original beauty with the inside being a museum. You can go...
- Majestic and timeless
- A visit to this elegant and tranquil castle is a great way to connect to the ancient history of Japan.
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.