Hakata Machiya Folk Museum
Museum / Science Museum
Come learn about the good-old days of life in Hakata at this tourist attraction. The exhibition hall, Machiya Hall, and souvenir shop are all connected, and the Machiya Hall was originally built in the mid-Meiji period (late 1800s) before it was moved and reconstructed in its current location. You can also see a demonstration of how Hakata fabric was traditionally woven. Under the guidance of experienced craftsmen, you can try your hand at painting ceramics (fee required) or Hakata fabric weaving yourself. It's just a five-minute walk from Gion Station.
- Fukuoka Pref. Fukuokashihakataku Reisenmachi 6-10 Map
- Central Hakata Area
- 10:00-18:00 (Exhibition Building Last entry 17:30) [7/Aug.] 9:00-18:00
- 4th Monday (Next Weekday for Public holidays)
- [Exhibition Building Admission fee] [General] 200yen [Group (20 people and above)] 150yen [Up to junior high school student] Free
- Parking Lot
- Not available
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, DISCOVER, Diners Club)
- Not available
- Available(Free Wi-Fi)
- English Menu
- Available (Part of the exhibition in the exhibition building is Available, English pamphlet Available)
* Temporarily closed on 12Monday, 2nd year of Reiwa due to construction of the exhibition building and townhouse building. The souvenir shop is open (may be temporarily closed).
* Please check the home page for details.
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
- [Lunch] 1-1,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
Itineraries about this spot
- Small but nice museum
- Two story museum with a small fee that shows the history of the Fukuoka area. There are signs in English and a short film about a festival in the area where local people build floats and race them...
- Folk museums for the lifestyle and folk culture of the Meiji and Taisho periods in Hakata
- This is actually 3 places in 1. Cheap entrance fee for adults (200Y). 5 min walk from the Hakata Gion Metro station.First place is an old style townhouse displaying Hakatas history and culture...
- Housed in Townhouse-style Buildings
- This traditional townhouse style buildings are located in front of the Kushida Shrine and are dedicated to the history and culture of life from 1868 to 1926. Inside one of the the buildings is a...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.