Located in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City, this is one of the sub temples of the Kodai-ji, Rinzai Kennin-ji Buddhist temple. Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s legal wife, Kitanomandokoro (known as Nene), spent the last 19 years of her life here. The temple’s North Garden is comprised of the Kesho palace and garden at Fushimi Castle, places where Nene spent much time with Hideyoshi, which were moved here by Nene and prepared by Kobori Enshu (Masakazu). The garden is in the Momoyama period style and is a nationally designated Place of Scenic Beauty. The temple also possesses numerous Important Cultural Properties, including screen paintings by Hasegawa Tohaku (1539–1610). On the third day of each month, the temple makes its principle object of worship, Sanmen Daikokuten (a three-faced figure of Mahakala) which ensured Hideyoshi’s success in life, open to the public. Visitors can make a prayer by writing a wish on a gourd-shaped slip of paper.
- Kyoto, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto Kodai-ji Shimogawara-cho, 530
- open everyday (but there are holidays due to legal matters)
[Junior high school student]200yen
- Parking Lot
*High spaces temple parking lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
Temporary suspension of business:Closed until May 31, 2020 (Information as of May 8, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Estimated stay time
- half an hour
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Hidden gem of a temple
- This temple is part of Kodajis temple and usually the admission is sold as a package deal. However one can choose to see this single temple.It is a small temple that offers tea services and...
- Serene zen moss gardens
- Along the famous Nene-no-michi known for its multiple Kyoto style temples and buildings is the retirement home and temple established by Nene, wife of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Its very compact yet...
- Lovely respite from the rain and walking
- Accidentally stumbled upon this little temple with 2 kids ages, 9 and 11. It was pouring rain all day, and we were completely soaked and tired from walking around most of the day. I saw a little...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.