Kodai-ji Zen Temple
This temple in Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City was founded in 1606 to pray for Toyotomi Hideyoshi's happiness in the next life by his wife, Nene. Along with a mausoleum for the both of them, you can also visit the front gate of former Fushimi castle, the Kasatei teahouse, the Shiguretei teahouse, the Kaisando hall which holds favorite mementos of the two, and the Mizukidai pavilion (all of which are Important Cultural Properties of Japan). The fine gold lacquer work on the Buddha dais and miniature shrine within the mausoleum are masterpieces of Momoyama-period artwork and known as Kodai-ji Temple Makie. The garden on site surrounding a small pond is not to be missed and has been nationally designated as a Place of Scenic Beauty as well as a Historic Site. It is lit up during the sakura cherry blossom season in spring, at night in summer, during the gorgeous foliage season in fall, and on New Year's Eve.
- Kyoto Prefecture Kyoto-shi Higashiyama-ku Kodaiji Shimogawara-machi 526
- 9:00-17:30(17:00Information desk closed)
- open everyday
- [Admission fee] Adults 600yen, Junior high and high school students 250yen, Groups (30people and above) 500yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Available (Smoking area Available next to Riseido on the south side of Grounds)
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Top 42 Autumn Color Spot in Kyoto
- Kyoto | Spiritual Spots
- Level-up your luck and fortune! Kyoto’s most potent power spots
- Kyoto | Shrines
- Visiting Japan: Top 43 Things to Do in Kyoto
- Kyoto | Best Things to Do
- Best Autumn spots for night walks around Kiyomizu-dera Temple
- Kyoto | Temples
- 2019 September Best Events in Japan
- Japan | Events
- Hotel SOWAKA, now taking reservations for the “SOWAKA exclusive nighttime visit to Kodaiji Temple accommodation plan”
- Kyoto | Activity
- 5 Best Places To See Autumn Leaves in Kyoto
- Kyoto | Shrines
- Kodai-ji Temple
- this temple is located in a beautiful part of Higashiyama Ward.It sits atop a slight hill. Kodai-ji is a jewel of Momoyama Period architecture.Getting there:Kodaiji is located in the Higashiyama...
- quite japanese garden
- beautiful japanese garden, not so crowded. inside mainhall is prohibited to take pothograph (where the Hideyoshi wife live). but we can enjoy the garden here.
- Beautiful garden
- Kodaiji Temple is built in 1606 in honor of Hideyoshi, one of Japans greatest historical figures. The temple on it`s own is nice but not impressive compared to many other temples we have visited...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.