Located in Toba City, this is Japan’s largest aquarium. Appropriate of its catch phrase “Japan’s largest number of species bred” the aquarium is home to approximately 1,200 species of animals. The aquarium has 12 zones that come close to natural environments, and one characteristic is that there is no prescribed viewing route. The aquarium has Japan’s only dugong, a sea creature which served as a model for the mermaid legends, and along with the manatees is a popular animal to see. Moreover, the museum not only features aquatic animals but also displays animals that live close to water such as capybara. The humorous show featuring sea lions and walruses is a must-see.
- Mie Pref. Tobashi Toba 3-3-6 Map
- Toba Area
*Last entry is 1 hour before closing hours
- open everyday
- [Admission fee]Adults2,800yen, Elementary/Junior high school students1,600yen, 3 years old and above 800yen
- Parking Lot
※Once per day800yen
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, DISCOVER, Diners Club)
- Available (only one place outdoors)
- English Menu
- Available (Only product names on the restaurant menu are written in English. *Explanations are in Japanese only on Sunday.)
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
[Lunch] 1,001-3,000yen, 3,001-5,000yen
Remarks:Price per person
- Estimated stay time
- 60-120 minutes (about 2 hours)
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant friendly
- Pet friendly
- Possible (must be put in a cage)
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- A nice attraction to see if you are in the area
- Toba aquarium is a nice attraction with the animals generally seeming well looked after. Visiting on a rainy day it was quite busy inside, but the spaces inside were large enough that it did not feel...
- Cute marine mammals and creatures at a top-notch environment!
- We stayed at an Onsen ryokan nearby, decide to explore the area in random. Drove along the main Pearl road and saw this aquarium adjacent to the large multi storey car park. Tickets reasonably...
- Family visit
- Many great big aquariums with fish and mammals from all over. Impressive collection of fish, and the kids loved it. There is also a show with the mammals (all in Japanese) which was fun.The only...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.