Koyasan Reihokan Museum
This facility preserves and displays invaluable Buddhist imagery and paintings from temples on Mt. Koya, such as the Kongobu-ji temple, the head temple of Shingon Buddhism. Opened in 1921, the museum's collection currently includes some 28 thousand important works of art, including 21 National Treasures, 143 Important Cultural Properties, and 16 Wakayama Prefecturally Designated Cultural Properties. During the extremely popular Great Treasure Hall Exhibition in summer, the museum displays the Eight Great Youths, a sculpture designated a National Treasure that was carved by Unkei, the greatest Buddhist imagery maker of the Kamakura period.
- Wakayama Pref. Itogunkouyachou Kouyasan 306
- New Year's holiday, May be temporarily closed
- [Admission fee] [General] 1,300yen [High school students/university students] 800yen [small/Junior high school students] 600yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, DISCOVER, Diners Club)
- Not available
- Not available
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Available (stairs to enter, wheelchair available)
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- Heian and Kamakura statues you wont see anywhere else
- Koyasan recently celebrated it 1200th anniversary, and some of the treasures in this museum are that old, loaned from some of the 100 monasteries on this mountain. The museum is small and so displays...
- A small museum composed of 2 rooms with statues and another couple of rooms with early Kamakura/Heisan scrolls. The statues are impressive but unfortunately the museum could not be bothered with...
- When its raining...
- If you are into Japanese statues of warriors, paintings of monks and similar items, then fine, but otherwise this is a modest museum more suited to art enthusiasts.
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.
Other areas of Wakayama
- Wakayama City Suburbs
- Wakayama Marina City
- Wakayama Castle
- Aeon Mall Wakayama
- Mt. Koya / Ryujin Onsen / Kudoyama
- JA Kinosato Farmers Market Mekkemon Square
- Okunoin Temple
- Koyasan Reihokan Museum
- Kainan / Arita / Minabe / Tanabe
- Kumano Hongu Taisha shrine
- Shirasaki Kaiyokoen
- Ryujin Onsen Motoyu
- Kushimoto / Koza / Susami
- Cape Shionomisaki
- Hashikuiiwa Rocks
- Kushimoto Marine Park
- Nachikatsuura / Taiji / Shingu
- Kumano Nachi Taisha Shrine
- Nachi Waterfall (Hiro Jinja Shrine)
- Kumano Hayatama Taisha Shrine