This unique design of this art museum in Koka City, Shiga was created by famous architect, I. M. Pei who was also responsible for designing the glass pyramid at the Musee de Louvre. Built to evoke the image of Shangri-La, 80% of the building is underground allowing it to assimilate into the beautiful natural surroundings. Over 3,000 pieces of art are on display in four exhibition rooms which cover Egypt, Western-Asia, Southern-Asia, and the Western Regions of China and special themed exhibits are also held. * The museum is closed for the winter until March 20th, 2019.
- Shiga Pref. Koukashi Shigarakichoutashiro Momotani 300
- 10:00-16:00(Last entry15:00)
- Monday (Next Weekday for Public holidays) * Open in spring, summer and autumn season
- [Admission fee] [Adult] 1,300yen [High school student] 1,000yen [Up to junior high school student] Free * Group fee (20 people and above) 200yen discount. * Person with a disability certificate Free by presenting the notebook (Group fee for only one assistant)
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, Diners Club, J-Debit)
- Available (only in specified locations)
- English Menu
- Available (Available fee)
Temporary suspension of business:Closed until August 11, 2020 (Information as of August 3, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
Temporary suspension of business:Closed until 2020/8/11 (according to 2020/8/11)
*Information may be changed, so be sure to check the official information.
- Estimated stay time
- 60-120 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Yes (Wheelchairs can be rented) * Free
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Excellent museum on a different level. Full of treasures. SPECTACULAR
- Excellent museum on a different level. Full of treasures. Must have cost them a fortune to build. And to fill it with all those treasures from around the world. SPECTACULAR
- Museum with interesting structures
- This is a museum designed by a famous architect I.M Pei who is known as an architect of a glass pyramid of Louvre Museum.A wide variety of exhibits was displayed, orient to occident and ancient to...
- Opened in 1997 amid the abundant natural beauty of the mountains of Shigaraki, Shiga prefecture. The museum was designed by architect I.M. Pei, who is renowned for works such as the glass pyramid at...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.