This is a temple of the To-ji Temple Shingon sect which is located in Otsu City. It was founded in 747 at the request of Emperor Shomu. It is known as one of the most famous Kannon temples in Japan, also being the stamp office for temple number 13 of the Saigoku Sanjusansho Kannon Pilgrimage. In addition, it is said that this was the place where Murasaki Shikibu got her inspiration for the idea of the Tale of Genji, and it also appears in literary works such as “Makura no Soshi” (the Pillow Book) and “Sarashina Nikki” (The Sarashina Diary). In the temple, there are many National Treasures and Important Cultural Properties such as the oldest Taho-to (a pagoda that enshrines the Buddha) and the oldest main temple building in Japan, so there is no shortage of highlights. It is also a famous place for its autumnal leaves and the illumination in the evening is worth seeing.
- Shiga Pref. Otsushi Ishiyamadera 1-1-1
- Otsu Area
- 8:00-16:30 (Last entry 16:00)
- open everyday
- [Climbing fee] [General] 600yen [Elementary school students] 250yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- * Currently, we are shortening Worship times to prevent the spread of new coronavirus infection. For details, please check the official homepage.
- Estimated stay time
- 60-120 minutes
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- Beautiful temple complex
- Loved this temple complex. The garden at the bottom of the hill is beautiful, with ponds and streams and moss. Up the hill it is airy and dotted with interesting buildings.
- #13 Temple of Saigoku 33 Kannon Pilgrimage
- We drove southward from the center of Otsu City along Lake Biwa. As we drove on, the lake became narrower, and finally became a river, Seta River. When the river started running southward, we got...
- More like a beautiful garden than a temple
- This place is more like a garden with lots of beautiful flowers than a temple. The environment is quiet and peaceful, not like other parks with too many tourists from other places. Be prepared to...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.