This museum was built to commemorate famed artist Katsushika Hokusai, who stayed in Obuse several times from the age of 83 and left several works behind there. The museum displays hanging scrolls and hand-painted pictures by Hokusai as well as videos which present the history of the artist. The main exhibition room contains two festival floats whose ceilings were painted with Hokusai's Surging Waves and Dragon and Chinese Phoenix. A 12-minute walk from Obuse Station.
- Nagano Pref. Kamitakaigunobusemachi Obuse 485 Map
- Kita-Shinano Area
※May close outside of stated days
- [Admission fee]General1,000yen, High school students500yen, Elementary and junior high school students300yen
- Parking Lot
Available (Large 15 spaces)
※Standard size is Higashimachi parking lot (60 spaces)
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, DISCOVER, Diners Club)
- Not available
- Not available
- English Menu
- Available (available in English for caption exhibitions, etc.)
Temporary suspension of business:Closed until May 15, 2020 (Information as of May 14, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
- [Lunch] 1,001-3,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Available (2 units are installed at the hotel)
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Worth a Short Visit
- I happily found out about the Hokusai-kan museum from my hotel proprietor and I was able to make a stop off in Obuse on my way back to Nagano. Hokusai-kan is situated in a great part of the town and...
- Wonderful museum where you can see the works of Katsushika Hokusai
- Informative museum with many works new to us
- We enjoyed this small, uncrowded museum — two informative short films about Hokusai and many beautiful works, not just the famous waves and Mt. Fujis, but also non-woodblock forms of painting by...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.