Futarasan Jinja Shrine
This shrine is dedicated to the deities of Nikko’s three most sacred mountains and highest peaks of the Nikko mountain range. Besides the main shrine is Chugushi at the shore of Lake Chuzenji, a rear shrine that stands at the summit of Mt. Nantai, and associated shrines Hongu Jinja and Takio Jinja Shrine. The establishment of Futarasan Jinja Shrine is said to have begun in 762 when Shodo Shonin built a small shrine as a Hongu Jinja shrine. Now the shrine is popular for its associations with good luck and the god of marriage. 11 buildings of the shaden (main shrine area) including the honden (main shrine) with its “yatsumune” style of construction and haiden (hall of worship) with its gabled, hipped roof have been designated as Important Cultural Properties. The lantern called “Bake-doro” in the shrine gardens is one highlight worth seeing.
- Tochigi Pref. Nikkoushi Sannai 2307
- open everyday
- [Kamien Admission fee] Adults300yen, Elementary and junior high school students100yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Not available
- Estimated stay time
- 0-30 minutes
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Entranceway to Toshogo
- We didn’t really spend any time here as our main aim was the Toshogo shrine but passed it on the way through. If we had had more time there to see in this area and is all part of one admission fee.
- Beautiful temple
- Once youre in Nikko, its worth paying to see all the temples. This isnt the nicest one, but its a quite one, with lots of details.
- Old charm
- This place is very nice. I can vouch for it to be the #1 must place to visit in nikko. Solemn and peaceful. Try to give respect to the deities.
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.