Yukishio Saltworks on Miyako Island produces “snow salt” (salt in powder form) using salty groundwater pumped up from underground. Display panels explain the process of making the salt. There is a shop selling “snow salt” and products made using “snow salt.” The shop offers a number of unique products that can only be purchased here; the “Snow Salt Soft Ice-cream,” which is covered with “snow salt” in a variety of different flavors, is particularly popular.
- Okinawa Pref. Miyakojimashi Hirara Karimata 191
- Miyako Island Area
- open everyday (some Sundays are not in operation)
- [Admission fee]Free
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay)
- Others (Smoking and non-smoking areas)
- Not available
- English Menu
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- Worth the time to visit
- Second visit. There are a lot of souvenirs made from the snow salt. They recently opened up a bread shop which you can eat together with the flavored snow salt. (my favorite one is the seaweed...
- Unique Powdery Salt
- We had hired a taxi for a tour of Miyakojima. The salt factory was part of the itinerary. It was mainly an annex store selling salt and snack products. Through the glass window, we only saw a...
- The cookie are suprisingly good
- The cookies are good although quite expensive, the salt factory is too small and not operate in full mode, so you only here for the cookies (at least for me)
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.