Omori Japanese Candle shop
Omori Japanese Candle is a shop selling traditional Japanese wax candles, located in Uchiko Town, where the wax-making and Washi (traditional Japanese hand-made paper) industries flourished during the Edo and Meiji periods. A section of a wax candle made in the traditional way (which has been handed down for over 200 years) shows a ring-like pattern; with no coloring or decorative motifs, the candles have a simple beauty. These are long-lasting candles that produce little soot and don’t suffer from dripping wax. The candles have attracted a great deal of interest in other countries, and are featured on the website of the British Museum. Omori Japanese Candle is located around 15 minutes’ walk from Uchiko Station.
- Ehime Pref. Kitagunuchikochou Uchiko 2214
- Uchiko Area
- Tuesday, Friday
- Parking Lot
- Not available (Please use a nearby public parking lot)
- Credit Card
- Not available
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- A unique memento of this charming town!
- Although I had earmarked the Candle Shop for a visit prior to arriving in Uchiko, I must have passed-by the unassuming entrance to the shop several times before I realised that the paper lantern with...
- Expensive, but make for unique souvenirs
- Traditional Japanese candles are unique in that they are handmade and the wax comes from a plant, not paraffin. This shop lets you see them being made and you can buy them - theyre not cheap, so...
- local candles for sale
- This is just one of the little shops on the historic walking street. Candles are nice, but very pricy. The owner demonstrates how they are made.
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.
Other areas of Ehime
- Imabari / Shimanami Kaido
- Imabari Castle
- Oyamazumi Shrine
- Seto Inland Sea Shimanami Kaido
- Mt. Ishizuchi / Shikoku Karst
- Shikoku Karst
- UFO Line (Ino-Cho)
- Sankakuji Temple
- Ozu / Uwa / Sadamisaki
- KOKUDO KYUSHI FERRY
- Uwajima Castle
- Ozu Castle