Museum of Commercial and Domestic Life
Museum / Science Museum
The Museum of Commercial and Domestic Life is located in Uchiko Town. The building that houses the Museum is itself of great interest, having formerly been an apothecary’s shop that operated during the Edo and Meiji periods. Mannequins and period utensils are used to recreate the scene in the apothecary’s shop as it would have been in years gone by; the unique, highly-realistic mannequins surprise visitors by welcoming them using authentic phrases (researched with experts familiar with the period). The realistic scenes—which include the owners’ family eating together with the apprentices, the housemaid cooking a meal, and little details such as someone talking to himself as he works—are very popular with visitors. Models are used to present information about Uchiko Town’s history and way of life, famous local individuals, etc.
- Ehime Pref. Kitagunuchikochou Uchiko 1938
- Uchiko Area
[Admission fee]Adults200yen, Elementary and junior high school students100yen
※Set ticket available
- Parking Lot
- Not available
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, DISCOVER, Diners Club)
- Not available
- Estimated stay time
- 0-30 minutes
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- Very interesting
- This is vey interesting- an old house owned by a pharmacist. The guide was very friendly and informative. He was happy to answer questions even when there was a language barrier. Would recommend...
- A lot more interesting than originally envisaged!
- The description as a Wax Doll Museum suggests some sort of rural Madame Tussauds, but in reality the Museum of Commercial & Domestic Life (to give it its proper title), actually consists of a...
- One of the better places to visit In Uchiko, interesting place
- We visited here with a couple of free English speaking Goodwill Guides who explained the various commercial activities the wax figures through out the old building were engaged in.
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.
Other areas of Ehime
- Imabari / Shimanami Kaido
- Imabari Castle
- Oyamazumi Shrine
- Seto Inland Sea Shimanami Kaido
- Mt. Ishizuchi / Shikoku Karst
- Shikoku Karst
- UFO Line (Ino-Cho)
- Sankakuji Temple
- Ozu / Uwa / Sadamisaki
- KOKUDO KYUSHI FERRY
- Uwajima Castle
- Ozu Castle