The Chikurin-ji Temple is a Shingon Buddhist temple of the Chizan school, located on Godai-san (Mt. Godai) in Kochi City. The temple’s full formal name is Godai-san Konjiki-in Chikurin-ji. The temple was founded by the monk Gyoki in 724; it was designated by Kobo Daishi (Kukai) as one of the temples included in the Shikoku 88-temple Pilgrimage, and subsequently became known as one of the most renowned ancient temples in the Tosa region. The main object of veneration in the temple is a statue of Monju Bosatsu (the bodhisattva Manjushri), who is associated with insight and wisdom, so students often come to the temple to pray for success in their exams. Besides the main hall, the Daishi-do hall, the five-storied pagoda, and the garden (which is reputed to have been created by the master garden planner Muso Kokushi) are all worth seeing. The temple houses a considerable number of designated Important Cultural Properties.
- Kouchi Pref. Kouchishi Godaisan 3577
- Kochi City Area
- open everyday
- [Grounds worship fee] Free [Scenic Garden/Treasure Museum Admission fee] 400yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Not available
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Estimated stay time
- 0-30 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- An experience like no other
- This experience was hard to put into words. We were in Japan from America for two weeks of business and managed to squeak in some sight-seeing. About half that time was in Kochi, which was...
- Had a chance to visit this temple. The grounds were beautiful with so much lush greenery. First time to see people doing their pilgrimage called Ohenro. They had pointed hats and wore white...
- So serene
- This temple is close to the Makino Botanical Gardens, so I decided to stop by and was glad I did. It is so quiet and serene, very different from temples in major cities like Tokyo and Kyoto. And the...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.