Lafcadio Hearn Memorial Museum
This is a memorial museum for Lafcadio Hearn, adopting the Japanese name, Yakumo Koizumi, known for his works of Hoichi the Earless, and the Yukionna (Snow Fairy) introduced in the storybook, Kaidan (Japanese ghost stories). This museum opened in 1934 is housed in the Japanese architectural structure adjoining the former residence of Yakumo Koizumi. It was renovated in 2016. This museum introduces the Greek born Irishman, Hearn, who arrived in Japan, via stays in England and the United States, and was then naturalized. The multifaceted aspects of Yakumo as an author, instructor, and journalist can be seen through the displayed mementos, manuscripts and writings revealing a portrait of his person.
- Shimane Pref. Matsueshi Okudanichou 322
[Apr.- Sep.] 8:30-18:30 (Reception until 18:10)
[Oct.- Mar.] 8:30-17:00 (Reception until 16:40)
- open everyday (closed four times a year for maintenance)
- [Admission fee]Adults410yen(Group discount 320yen), Elementary and junior high school students200yen(Group discount 160yen)
- Parking Lot
- Not available
- Credit Card
Available (VISA, MasterCard)
※Only available cards can be used for touch payment.Available function
- Not available (entirely non-smoking)
- English Menu
Temporary closure:Currently closed (information as of May 26, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Estimated stay time
- 30-60 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- Interesting to know in details Hearn life
- Very modern and complet museum about Hearn life, irish writer who became japanese. Interresting if you want to know the details of the life of the author of Kwaidan.
- A very well documented museum. Inspiring and interesting. Hearn had played an important part in Japan’s history.
- Very interesting visit
- Had never heard of Hearn before and therefore found the visit extremely informative. Our group of Ireland rugby supporters had received a civic reception the day before because the town very much...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.
Other areas of Shimane
- Around Izumo Oyashiro
- Izumo Oyashiro(Izumo Taisha)
- Inasanohama Beach
- Hinomisaki Shrine
- Around Iwami Ginzan
- Iwami Ginzan World Heritage Center
- Nima Sand Museum
- Iwami Ginzan Park