The Akama Shrine is dedicated to the Antoku Emperor, whose maternal grandfather was Taira no Kiyomori, and who drowned at the age of eight following the defeat of the Taira Clan in the Battle of Dan-no-ura. The Shrine is located in Amidaiji district, Shimonoseki City. The red-painted Suiten-mon gate (the Shrine’s main gate) which faces Dan-on-ura has magnificent decoration that evokes the supposed appearance of the underwater palace of the Dragon King. The Shrine grounds also contain the Nanamori-zuka (Seven Mounds), dedicated to the Heike (Taira) clan generals who died in the Battle of Dan-no-ura, and a statue of Hoichi, a character in the ghost story “Hoichi the Earless”. The Homotsu-den (Treasure House), for which there is an admission charge, preserves various literary works including a copy of the 20-chapter “Nagatobon Heike Monogatari” which has been designated as an Important Cultural Property, etc. After sunset, the Suiten-mon gate is illuminated, creating a beautiful spectacle which is not to be missed.
- Yamaguchi Pref. Shimonosekishi Amidaijichou 4-1
- Shimonoseki Area
- [Awarding place] 9:00-17:00
- open everyday
- Free [Treasure Museum] 100yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Not available
- Not available
- Average budget
- [Day] 1-1,000yen [Night] 1-1,000yen Remarks:Prayer is 5000yen or more
- Estimated stay time
- 0-30 minutes
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
Articles about this spot
- It is one of the main attractions in Shimonoseki. I strongly recommend you to visit this shrine. The entrance gate, painted in red and white, is photogenic.
- Vibrant Shrine, Beautiful Colors!
- The Akama Shrine in Shimonoseki is a huge and vibrant complex. I stopped here on one of my tours and was glad I had additional time to explore as there is a lot to see here. I love the colors of the...
- Nice Looking Shrine
- The shrine was built for 8 years old emperor Antoku from Heishi family who died in the battle with Genji family which ended the rule by Heishi in 1185.The impressive red and white gate was newly...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.