Shimonoseki Marine Science Museum “Kaikyokan”
The Shimonoseki Marine Science Museum, affectionately known as “Kaikyokan,” is an aquarium in the Karato district of Shimonoseki City which opened in 2001. The Museum is famous for its collection of over 100 species of Fugu (Pufferfish) from all over the world and for its exhibit of a complete skeleton of a Blue Whale. Must-sees include the “Humboldt Penguin Special Conservation Area,” where visitors can observe a recreation of the habitat of the Humboldt Penguin, which lives in areas with a warm climate, and performances featuring dolphins and sea-lions.
- Yamaguchi Prefecture Shimonoseki City Ikaport 6-1
- Shimonoseki Area
- 9:30-17:30(Last entry17:00)
- open everyday
- [Admission fee] Adults2,090yen, Elementary and junior high school students940yen, Toddlers (3 years old and over) 410yen * Under 3 Free
- Parking Lot
- Not available * Fee parking lot available (395 spaces) nearby
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, Diners Club)
- Not available (Smoking area available near the facility)
- English Menu
- Available (English pamphlet)
Temporary suspension of business:Closed until June 18, 2020 (Information as of June 15, 2020)
* Information may be changed, so please be sure to check the official information.
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
- [Day] 1,001-3,000yen [Night] 1,001-3,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 60-120 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Yes (rental is also possible)
- Infant friendly
- Possible (baby stroller rental, nursing room, multipurpose toilet available)
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- Very interesting puffer fish exhibit.
- Shimonoseki is famous for puffer fish. But I cant remember seeing so many species of puffer fish in an aquarium. In general, an enjoyable visit.
- If you the Puffer fish fan, this is a good place to visit
- The aquarium itself is not so big as the Osaka one but it has a collection of more than 100 types of puffer fish (Fuku:in Japanese). There is also a small area for sea show but you its only one...
- Real and happy times
- I recommend that you should visit and enjoy this Aquarium.1.Sight view2.Biological ocean lab.3.Family and freind amusement4.Experts and Amateurs needs5.Fulfill your questions
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.