Nishin Goten Herring Mansion Otaru Kihinkan (Old Aoyama Villa)
The villa was a holiday house for the Aoyama Family in the heyday of herring fishing. The family spared no expense in the materials and construction of the two-story wooden villa set in a site of almost 5000 square meters. The mansion conveys to the present the glory of days gone by and has also been designated as a Registered Tangible Cultural Property of the country. There are many works of art, such as writings by Yamaoka Tesshu on display. It is about a five-minute walk from the nearest bus stop “Shukutsu 3-chome”.
- Hokkaido Otarushi Shukutsu 3-63
- Otaru Area
- [Former Aoyama Bettei] 9:00-17:00 (Last entry 16:30) [Nov.--Mar.] 9:00-16:00 (Last entry 15:30) [12/29-12/31] 9:00-15:00 (Last entry 14:30) [Restaurant] 11:00-17:00 [Nov.--Mar.] 11:00-16:00 * LO meal 14:30, coffee shop 1 Hours before the end
- [Old Aoyama Bettei] 1/1-7 [Restaurant] 12/26-1/7
- [Admission fee] Adults (Junior high school students and older) 1,100yen, Children (Elementary school students) 550yen
- Parking Lot
- Credit Card
- Available (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, UnionPay, DISCOVER, Diners Club)
- Not available
- Not available
- Vegetarian Menu
- English Menu
- Can be enjoyed even on a rainy day
- Average budget
- [Day] 1,001-3,000yen [Night] 5,001-10,000yen
- Estimated stay time
- 60-120 minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Yes (No villa)
- Infant friendly
Information Sources: NAVITIME JAPAN
- Great stop on the tour.
- A fascinating tour of the Herring Mansion. Our tour group was also served a Kaiseki dinner at this site, which included multiple small dishes of beautifully presented seafood and vegetables.
- Easy bus ride from JR station
- Short bus ride and short walk from the stop. Worth spending a couple of hours here enjoying the house, garden (not in winter) and the cafe.
- Fascinating insight in the way of life
- We visited this site as part of our tour of Hokkaido. It was an entrepreneurial fisherman’s house called Aoyama Villa, built in the early 20th century, 1917, by a family who made their fortune from...
TripAdvisor Traveler RatingView more
- m | On foot about minutes
There is no Station nearby. There is no Bus Stop nearby. There is no Parking nearby. There is no IC nearby.