Japanese Cuisine in Tottori
Recommended new articles
The Delicious Matsuba Crabs of Tottori
- During the winter season, from November to early March, flocks of travelers venture to Tottori Prefecture to find a particular set of claws. Of course, they are seeking out the delicious and dense Matsuba crab. There’s even an annual event dedicated to this delicacy, coined as Matsuba Crab Day. The Delicious Matsuba Crabs of Tottori The most popular destinations to consume these male snow crabs are Tottori Harbour in Tottori City and Sakaiminato.The locals will argue that crabs flock to one or the other area the most and therefore taste better, but we found both locations to have great tasting Matsuba! The Delicious Matsuba Crabs of Tottori Every other day or so, there is an auction held at Tottori Harbour with many a restauranteur fighting for their stake of mouth-watering crab meat. Although it isn’t open to the general public, some of the guesthouse owners might be connected enough to arrange a visit for you. We recommend Guesthouse Shantei. Where to Eat Matsuba Crab Where to Eat Matsuba Crab After the restaurant owners get their hands on fresh Matsuba crab, they’re off to the kitchen. While there are numerous preparation methods, the most popular is boiling. Home cooking in Tottori consists of miso soup with crab and seasoned rice. We recommend dropping by Genkitei in Sakaiminato for crab paradise. Of course, ordering the entire crab is ideal. But if they are sold out, go for the crab donburi. Once you taste the sweet, tender character of the crab atop freshly steamed rice, you won’t leave the same person. As it is a popular tourist destination, swing by early to ensure you get seats and an order of the entire crab. Considering it’s a few minutes walk from Sakaiminato Station, you shouldn’t have any trouble finding this heavenly crab abode. Nakaura Fish Market in Sakaiminato Nakaura Fish Market in Sakaiminato Let ole Kitaro and his ghostly presence guide you into the Nakaura Fish Market in Sakaiminato. Don’t worry; there is plenty of life to be had inside. Apart from crab, you can also pick up fresh seafood here at competitive prices for the quality. There are also plenty of other restaurants around the area offering Matsuba crab. Bear in mind though, most of these delicately prepared creatures must be reserved at least a day in advance. The restaurant nearby, Yumigahama, is well-known for its crab donburi, claiming the #1 spot in the area on their website. Crab Museum Crab Museum If you’re feeling more curious than hungry, head to the Crab Museum. With a variety of different crabs to see and fish to touch, this is a great spot for children. As most of the events inside are arranged for children, expect to enjoy the mini-aquarium with other excited mini-people. Attendance is free, so what are you waiting for?The Matsuba crab is the icon of Tottori Prefecture and especially Sakaiminato and Tottori Harbour. Their rich, tender taste draws people from all over the world during the winter season. ©NAVITIME JAPAN. Travel Info Check out our travel tips to make your trip better!
What to Eat in Tottori
- Crabs Crabs If you are visiting Tottori, you can’t leave without having crab. Their snow crab, the Matsuba, draws crowds from abroad and from all over Japan during the winter season. And rightly so! This delicacy is jam-packed with tender crab meat that will enrich your palette with a slightly sweet sensation. The best areas to grab the Matsuba crab are in Sakaiminato and Tottori Harbour. Our favorite place to dine with our finely clawed crustacean was at Genkitei restaurant in Sakaiminato. If you are looking to prepare it yourself, you can purchase fresh crab and other seafood at Nakaura Fish Market nearby.While most people seek out the whole crab, there are countless ways to prepare the Matsuba crab in Tottori. Think of how donburi, crab bentos, crab cakes and many other preparations will infiltrate your dreams with their succulent appeal. You will leave Tottori with more than beautiful memories; you will have tasted the greatness of the Matsuba crab. Tottori Beef Tottori Beef Apart from crab, Tottori beef is yet another food you cannot miss while traveling here. Take your pick of shabu shabu or teppanyaki. For us, we went with the latter at Fuumon Teppanyaki seen above.Our set course meal had the juiciest of beef with our favorite sides. Prices vary according to the size of the steak. Not only was our meal just right, we had the pleasure of enjoying a special trick from the chef: While grilling the meat, the chef fires up a massive flame and quite literally, engulfs the beef in its sizzle. What an experience! We are strong believers that dining is more than the ingredients and meal. The atmosphere and engagement with the staff and other guests is all necessary for maximum enjoyment. And Fuumon Teppanyaki did not disappoint. Sashimi/ Seafood Sashimi/ Seafood It’s no surprise that Tottori is also known for the freshness of its seafood. Located on the Sea of Japan coast, the numerous restaurants and hospitality spots take their pick of the daily catch. Our recommendation for experiencing this freshness is down at Hamazushi located next to Tottori Harbour. It sits directly next to Guesthouse Shanti. Apart from the deliciousness of the fish, the service of the owner was absolutely grand. We felt cared for and grateful for the friendliness of the locals as well. Pear, Pear Soft Cream, and Pear sweets Pear, Pear Soft Cream, and Pear sweets Did you know that Tottori Prefecture is the area for Asian pear? When traveling throughout the region you will run into fresh pears for sale, as well as pear soft cream. We grabbed a cone of this unique flavor at an omiyage shop at the Tottori Sand Dunes. Healthy Countryside Meals Healthy Countryside Meals If you are looking for something a bit more down-to-earth and hearty, look no further than set lunches at Cafe Berry. Located directly next to the Aoya Washi Studio, you can taste vegetables pulled from the owner’s parents’ farm. With the heart-warming feel of a countryside meal and the comfortable atmosphere emitted by the owner, you’re sure to feel right at home. ©NAVITIME JAPAN. Travel Info Check out our travel tips to make your trip better!
- Soft-shelled Turtle
- Tottori Pref. Tottorishi Yayoichou 175-2
- Kaiseki/Kappo Traditional Japanese Cuisine
- Tottori Pref. Yonagoshi Nakamachi 48
- Tottori Pref. Tottorishi Sakaemachi 725
這間小店在米芝蓮指南 2019 出現。這裏的天丼算是高質，油而不膩，醬汁的配搭很好。餐廳職員對客友善，而且略懂一兩句簡單英文，可以和我們溝通。不過要留意的是，餐廳在樓上，需要行樓梯上去，座位較少，而且多為榻榻米。
- Osaka Shinsekai Yamachan Yonago Ekimae
- Kushiage/Kushikatsu Fried Skewer Cuisine
- Tottori Yonago-shi Meijicho 157
- Kaiseki/Kappo Traditional Japanese Cuisine
- 47, Asahimachi, Yonago-shi, Tottori, 683-0813
I have visited here with friends recomendation.. they gave us private room and it was great experience. For sure the food was great with crab, sashimi and alot of others..
Tottori prefecture is Japanese seasonal diversity at its best: Huge sand dunes cover the north coast, making for the perfect summer beach trip complete with the unexpected addition of camels; November brings the delectable snow crab, while winter around Mount Daisen, the Chugoku region's highest mountain, promises snow sports and magical views.
Best of Tottori
Search by Region
- Hokkaido / Tohoku
- Koshinetsu / Hokuriku
- Kyushu / Okinawa