Japanese Cuisine in Yamagata
Recommended new articles
What to Eat around Yamagata
- Thanks to its unique positioning and climate, the Yamagata prefecture is home to a vast array of unique dishes that you'll have trouble finding anywhere else in the world. During the beyond freezing winter months there's no better way to stay warm than with a cozy bowl of ramen, but did you know you can actually get jellyfish ramen here in Yamagata? If that wasn't adventurous enough there's also jellyfish ice cream and horse sashimi readily available. Known as some of the best producers of rice in all of Japan, the Yamagata prefecture also crafts some absolutely incredible sake. No matter your taste or level of bravery there's something here for every taste. Thanks to the area’s chilly winter climate it’s become one of the best places to lose yourself in a big bowl of comfort food, and it doesn’t get much more comfortable than Imoni, one of the area’s most iconic dishes. This hearty taro and meat stew has been keeping the locals warm since forever. Fumotoya Soba Fumotoya Soba You can't visit Yamagata without trying some of the area's incredible locally produced soba noodles, and there's no better place to try them out than at Fumotoya Soba in Yamadera. This laid back local restaurant is a perfect place to stop by and pick up a quick bite to eat or to take time and explore everything the area has to offer. It's a more traditional style eating establishment which has remained uninfluenced by outside sources for years now, making it the perfect, most authentic way to really enjoy the local soba. Jellyfish Ramen Jellyfish Ramen This one is for the more adventurous eater, but it's definitely worth trying out if you're in Yamagata. Located in the Kamo Aquarium in Tsuruoka city, this jellyfish ramen is a very unique culinary adventure. Oneself you've visited the aquarium and have finished admiring their collection of live jellyfish then it's time to head straight to the restaurant. The restaurant actually features a variety of different jellyfish dishes that are said to contain a multitude of health benefits. Once you've eaten jellyfish ramen you can follow it up with a dessert of jellyfish ice cream. Meiyu Soba Meiyu Soba If you do make it to the Moriyama area on your travels through Yamagata the one place you can't miss is Meiyu Soba, another classic style soba restaurant is authentic delicious local dishes. Open from 11am until 7pm daily, this home of soba features a variety of different takes on the dish including hot, cold and tempura topped noodles. A favorite among locals, Meiyu soba is a very well kept Yamagata secret. Yamagata’s Sake Yamagata’s Sake Given that the Yamagata prefecture is known for having some of the best rice in Japan, it's only natural that they'd also be producers of some of the best sake in the world. One place you can't bypass when making a culinary journey through the area is Sake Bar Ayatsuru in Tsuruoka. Here you can sample some of the best, locally crafted sake from some of the best brewers in the area. Yamagata’s Seafood Yamagata’s Seafood While enjoying a few sips of the local brew, it's best to accompany it with some fresh seafood from the seafood market in Sakata City. You can visit the market yourself and pick up some local produce. Yamagata favorites include local squid and crab, which come highly recommended from some of the area’s biggest seafood connoisseurs. If you’d rather have someone else do the cooking for you then be sure to pay a visit to Hama No Kachan No Mise, a locally loved mom and pop store. If you do make it there be sure to try their rice filled squid and mouth watering crab dishes. Yamagata’s Seafood ©NAVITIME JAPAN. Travel Info Check out our travel tips to make your trip better!
- Hirata Farm Tonya (Sakata Store)
- Tonkatsu Pork Cutlets
- Yamagata Pref. Sakatashi Mizuho 2-17-8 Garden Palace Mizuho 1F
Per chi vuole un pranzo veloce e ben fatto. Niente di indimenticabile ma tutto prodotto bene a prezzi accessibili.
- Uesugi Hakushakutei (Uesugi Earl's House)
- Kaiseki/Kappo Traditional Japanese Cuisine
- Yamagata Pref. Yonezawashi Marunouchi 1-3-60 Uesugi Memorial Hall
- Gourmet Plaza Kongokaku Bishamon
- Yamagata Pref. Yonezawashi Sakuragichou 3-41
- Beef Restaurant Sukiyaki Tokiwa
- Yamagata Pref. Yonezawashi Chuou 7-2-3 Congested wave beef shop 2F
The lady at the sake store recommended this store to buy beef. after reading that the store has been around for 100 years, we figure wed try the restaurant also. Between the 4 of us, we...
- Tokiwa Beef Shop - Noboru
- Yamagata Pref. Yonezawashi Kanaike 5-10-21
Although often overlooked, Yamagata prefecture by no means lacks appeal: the Yamadera temple trail through the mountains, deliciously tender Yonezawa wagyu, and over 100 steaming hot springs, most notably Zao Onsen, await visitors. When winter comes, the snowcapped peaks become dotted with skiers by day and onsen-goers by night, while summer brings the celebration of juicy Yamagata cherries.
Best of Yamagata
Search by Region
- Hokkaido / Tohoku
- Koshinetsu / Hokuriku
- Kyushu / Okinawa