Aquarium Spots in Shimane Area
- Shinjiko Nature Museum Gobius
- Leisure / Hobbies
- Shimane Pref. Izumoshi Sonochou 1659-5
- Shinjiko Nature Museum Gobius is an experiential-learning type aquarium that showcases the plants and animals that live in Lake Shinji, Nakaumi Lagoon and Shimane Prefecture’s rivers. In all, there are around 10,000 organisms belonging to approximately 200 different species. There is plenty for visitors to see, with diorama tanks that recreate the habitat of the rivers that flow into Lake Shinji and Nakaumi Lagoon, touch pools where visitors can interact with living creatures, etc. There are regular special events, including feeding sessions where museum staff members provide an educational commentary as they feed the exhibits. Shinjiko Nature Museum Gobius attracts large numbers of visitors (particularly families) throughout the year.
Very nice nature center. Well kept building and grounds. Does a nice job of teaching about area wildlife. Has interactive stations. Everyone in our family enjoyed it.
- Shimane Aquas Aquarium
- Leisure / Hobbies
- Shimane Pref. Hamadashi Kushirochou 1117-2
- One of the largest aquariums in the Chugoku and Shikoku regions, Aquas is the only aquarium in western Japan where you can see belugas. The aquarium has exhibits some 10 thousand creatures spanning around 400 species, including a penguin exhibit housing four species of penguins, a giant aquarium exhibit focusing on the sharks which appear in the myths of Shimane, an exhibit featuring the flying fish which are the official fish of Shimane Prefecture, and more. The aquarium’s earless seal and sea lion shows are also popular.
What Shimane prefecture lacks in size and population, it makes up for in scenery and ancient mythology. Izumo-taisha, in the middle of the prefecture, is said to be Japan’s oldest Shinto shrine, where stories that delve into the creation of the Japanese race have been passed down over centuries. The 180 Oki Islands, a 40-minute ferry ride north of Sakaiminato, offer an undiscovered paradise well off the beaten track.
Best of Shimane
Search by Region
- Hokkaido / Tohoku
- Koshinetsu / Hokuriku
- Kyushu / Okinawa