Market Spots in Wakayama Area
- Direct Sales Depot / Market
- Nanki Shirahama Toretore Market
- Wakayama Pref. Nishimurogunshirahamachou Katata 2521
- Located in Shirahama Town, Nishimuro County, Wakayama Prefecture, Toretore Market is one of the largest seafood markets in western Japan and is operated by the local Katata Fishery Cooperative. Boasting grounds some 50 thousand square meters in size, the market is filled with fresh seafood not only from Wakayama but around the country. A diverse array of processed goods, meats, vegetables, and even Wakayama souvenirs are sold here, and the market bustles constantly with visitors. Market highlights include the giant tanks filled with fish swimming around while waiting to be sold and the popular tuna butchering shows. Visitors can eat sushi and seafood rice bowls at Toretore Yokocho; the market’s seafood barbecue is also popular.
- Kuroshio Market
- Wakayama Pref. Wakayamashi Kemi 1527
- You’ll find this seafood market on the manmade Wakayama Marina City island in Wakayama Bay, Wakayama City, Wakayama Prefecture. The building has a retro Showa-period atmosphere complete with a fresh fish market with catches from the nearby sea and all over the world, a food court where you can enjoy a seafood rice bowl and sushi, and restaurants with tons of seafood options. There’s also a spectacular tuna slicing show held three times a day, not to mention a seafood barbecue area where you can feel the sea breeze and see the ocean while grilling fresh fish you bought at the market.
There are several different stalls selling fresh and frozen fish, as well as pickled vegetables, marinaded squid and frozen crab. At the back, there are shopsmthat you can order sushi or charashi...
- Katsuura Fishing Port Nigiwai Market
- Wakayama Pref. Higashimurogunnachikatsurachou Tsukiji 7-12
- A fishing port located in Nachikatsuura Town, a part of the Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii Mountain Range World Heritage Site. The port serves as a base for tuna longline fishing and boasts the greatest catches of fresh tuna in Japan. Tuna auctions are also held here early in the morning, and visitors can watch this taking place from a second-floor observation deck. The Katsuura Fishing Port Nigiwai Market is held at the port every Sunday morning. Visitors to the market can purchase fresh seafood at bargain prices. In addition, the Nankikatsuura Onsen hot spring district is located right next door, making it easy to plan a fun-filled sightseeing route.
Went in after the tuna auction for some fresh quality tuna. Did not disappoint ! Its a very small market with around 15-20 shops. But their food s great ! Outdoor dining area available as well
- Seafood Market at Fisherman’s Wharf of Shirahama
- Wakayama Pref. Nishimurogunshirahamachou 1667-22
- Seafood Market at the seaside leisure spot of Fisherman’s Wharf of Shirahama in Shirahama Town, Nishimuro County, Wakayama. Find fresh fish packed together, including horse mackerel, chicken grunt, sea bream, etc. You can choose your favorite fish then have it prepared for you as sashimi, or boiled or grilled and made into an original seafood dish that you can enjoy on the spot. They have indoor and terrace seating.
- Farmers' Market Yottette, Inari Main Building
- Wakayama Tanabe-shi Inaricho 270-1
- "This farmer's makert is located five minutes from the Nanki Tanabe Interchange on the Hanwa Expressway via National Route 42. Producers sell not only their best fresh vegetables but also various citrus fruits throughout the year in this farmers' and fishers' market whose motto is ""Fresh, Reliable, Cheap."" Especially popular is the Fish Products Section, where customers can obtain fresh fish sent directly from the fishers who caught them, as well as homemade cakes sweets, and other processed foods made by local producers. On the second floor is the casual Yottette Cafe, along with a section that sells dried plums, plum wine, and other products derived from plums. On the same property is the farm-to-table buffet restaurant Hachijuhachiya."
- Katsuura Port Nigiwai Hiroba Morning Market (Union of Kansai Governments Direct Sales Market)
- Wakayama Higashimuro-gun Nachikatsuuracho Tsukiji Katsuura Fishing Port
- This morning market, located in Nigiwai Plaza in Katsuura Fishing Port, is open every Sunday from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.. It is also occasionally open for special events. Tuna caught at Katsuura Fishing Port, the site of Japan's largest freshwater tuna haul, is sold here. Fish may also be filleted and sold here on an irregular basis. A reservation made at least three days in advance allows visitors to enjoy the experience of canning tuna. It is also highly recommended to have breakfast of the local specialties such as saury sushi, mehari-zushi (sushi wrapped with takana leaves) and rice bowl dishes. There is also a parking area nearby, which is only open on Sundays.
- Michino Hotto Station Miyama no sato
- Wakayama Hidaka-gun Hidakagawacho Ubuyugawa 197-5
- This local specialty products shop adjoins Miyama Dome, and is conveniently surrounded by sightseeing destinations such as the longest wisteria trellis in Japan, Tsubayama Dam, and a place known as the best spot in Japan to shout and hear one's voice reverberate in echoes. The shop's wide selection of local products includes dried shiitake mushrooms, foods made with edible wild plants, and willow gudgeon boiled in soy sauce kanroni style. The shop is also known for its pickled Japanese knotweed, which is so popular it's always guaranteed to sell out.
Wakayama prefecture unites pilgrims, food lovers, and culture buffs in a tranquil corner of Japan at the base of the Kii Peninsula. The setting for many a Kumano Kodo pilgrimage trail, Wakayama invites those in search of spirituality from one side of the prefecture to the other, from the 100-plus Buddhist temples of the sacred Mount Koya in the west to the inspiring temples of the Kumano Sanzan set among breathtaking nature in the east. Once the grueling hike is complete, make a beeline for Wakayama city to savor some of the country’s most delicious ramen noodles.
Best of Wakayama
Search by Region
- Hokkaido / Tohoku
- Koshinetsu / Hokuriku
- Kyushu / Okinawa